Thursday, February 25, 2010

Updated Patchwork

Even as a young woman when I learned to sew I was fascinated with patchwork. OK that's me in this photo in the middle. It was something like 1971/72 and I had made my drindle skirt from cast off pieces of upholstery velvet that my Uncle Lou gave us. Uncle Lou worked in the furniture manufacturing business in Grand Rapids for years and would delight my Mother and myself with gorgeous remnants of fabric. Unbelievable I still have some in my stash today - I'm not sure I should actually admit that........!
I am working right now on my furnishings for the Grand Rapids Symphony Designer Show House. Dan has made the most wonderful ottoman for our space out of 2 cast off twin bed footboards and I was going through my inventory of fabric trying to decide what to have it upholstered in. I narrow it down to 3 choices - ugh! OK so there was an idea! I would patchwork several together. I had saved this photo from a Wisteria catalog and had it in my idea file. It inspired me and what a great way to recycle smaller pieces of upholstery fabric. Both Dan & I have been SO into recycling, reusing what we have.
So here is the patchwork material that I made to upholster the ottoman. It consists of fabrics from Brunschwig & Fils, Cowtan & Tout, Pierre Deux, Dogwood, Fabricut, Waverly & Schumacher. It all goes to the upholster tomorrow. I'll post more photos as the room is installed. Right now there is a lot of work going on behind to scenes. March 9th is the deadline.

6 comments:

Relics said...

I'm so sad I missed Grayslake.... :(

Oh well- hopefully I can catch the next one!

Love your blog, simply beautiful,

deb @ relics in Peoria
www.relics.typepad.com
:)

Relics said...

I'm so sad I missed Grayslake.... :(

Oh well- hopefully I can catch the next one!

Love your blog, simply beautiful,

deb @ relics in Peoria
www.relics.typepad.com
:)

TAPESTRIESOFNATURE said...

THE PATCH WORK TURNED OUT REALLY NICE! AND I LOVE DAN'S WIRE WORKS AND OTHER HANDY ART.

I AM SO READY FOR KANE TO START AGAIN! I REALLY MISSED IT
!

DRIVE SAFE, JUDY

True North Interior Design & Antiques said...

Thanks Judy we just talked about you tonight when we were eating dinner we were burning the candle Dan bought from you for me for Christmas and it glows so pretty throught the paper. I hope we make it this weekend to Kane, I am hustling on thei designer show house the deadline is March 9!............

Anita said...

great work on the patchwork...JUDY and I are also on the reusing train right now...this economic problem has certainly mad eus more resourceful and creative....

True North Interior Design & Antiques said...

ya sista!