Saturday, March 24, 2012

Antique Auction, Art Glass and Other Misc. News

                           A friend and I went to a large antique auction this week on Wednesday. I took a few pictures just to show you were the market is at these days. Lots of industrial, signs, some architectural and alot less furniture that there was 10 to 15 years ago. Love the E in this picture would love to have brought it back for Patrice at Elements but it was a little out of my price range.
 I did manage to snag this great header trim that must have come off an old house. I always love architectural when I can get it. It just seems like it is getting harder and harder to find.
 There is just about a little bit of everything represented in the picture. Everything vintage from farm, factory and house is represented here.
 I had to take this picture just because of the dress form in the picture with iron work on the bottom.

We spent about four hours at this auction and managed to find a few treasures. My friend and I have been doing auctions for about ten years or more. It is always a good time and lots of great conversation on the trip there and back.
On Thurday the day after the auction we made another road trip to the east side of the state were my friend purchased a large lot of art glass windows from an individual that salvages architectural items out of Detroit. This was a connection I made years ago when I had my own store. We managed to bring back a very large collection of windows and some doors. All of the wonderful windows in the above photos and more can now be seen at Bluedoor here in Grand Rapids.

This past week I also finished restoration of the above drawer cabinet and put it in our space at Bluedoor. I love these drawer cabinets. There seems to be a real demand for these among artists and other creative people these days. Everytime I can find one I can't wait to get it into one of our spaces.

The rest of the week was spent trying to get work done in the shop. I always have plenty to do in my shop so it is always hard to balance the time I need to work on projects in the shop and time spent finding great product. I do go to bed every night with my mind whirling with ideas and tomorrow projects.
Cj spent the week working on lots of design work and teaching classes. However, tonight we took off and went for a walk in our neighborhood. The temperature has been so warm that we are completely enjoying the flowering and budding of spring at least a month earlier than normal. Life is good!

No comments: