Saturday, June 11, 2011

Preparing for Antique Shows

This is the time of year that both Dan & I don our super hero outfits and really get to work!
We are preparing for several upcoming shows. First is the Antiques at the Fairgrounds show in Petoskey, July 1st and 2nd. This show is twice a summer, also August 5 & 6. We love this show & Petoskey!
So here's a look at some of what we have been doing to prepare for shows & to fill both of our spaces at Bluedoor and Then & Now .
Dan has been creating his magic with furniture, LOVE this latest harvest table! And don't you love these little sneak peaks inside his workshop :-)




Here is a sweet little old chair that we collaborated on. Dan of course did the painting,
and I made the slipcover. Thanks to our friend Lynda Boyd I learned to use painters drop cloth fabric for all kinds of things! I used it here to sew the slipcover. I pre wash it and it takes on the look of natural linen.


                                   A few more up close detail. I love these little shabby chic ruffles!

I've also made a bunch more gardening aprons using vintage fabrics. These are also great for all of you antique dealers out there too. I love to wear one when we do shows - 3 great pockets for change, measuring tape, pens, lipstick etc!

 I have also been working on jewelry pieces - here a  few glass charms that I have been creating with vintage images from old sewing patterns, children's game pieces, vintage dictionary pages and ephemera. I also have been working with these awesome vintage chandelier crystals and old pearls to make pendents

I have been working on some amazing Interior Design projects too. I think that you all know that I love detail and COLOR, so enjoy these 2 top photos. The first is a wonderful Country French style home, using reds, French toiles, checks, stripes and the second is a remodel punching the colors up with purples and kiwi greens -so fresh and lively. Notice the purple Murano Style Glass chandelier - how cool is that!!!!!!!!!

.

Last I wanted to share with you a few photos of 2 things that I made recently for myself. I did this rug hooking a few years back with the intention of making it into a pillow, but I liked making it into a carry bag instead. I used some of the vintage French ticking that Dan has been collecting for me, vintage upholstery webbing, chambray lining and a scrap of English linen for an interior pocket. 
I was so flipped out over a peace sign t-shirt that Sandy of Rhubarb Reign was wearing last weekend, that I wanted to try my hand at making one. So an Old Navy t-shirt that I hadn't worn and a scarp of my favorite Amy Butler fabric! What do you think should I make these to sell?


PEACE!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww the peace shirt is adorable! I definitely think it's sell-able. :)

Susan said...

Oh CJ, what wonderful things you are creating. YES make more of the shirts with the peace sign, they are so cute. And I love the upholstery webbing you used for the bag handles. How clever!

Ms. Robinson said...

LOVE THE SLIP COVER...GOOD JOB..

The Shade Shop, Inc. said...

You are sooooooo very creative! Love the shirt, love the purse, love the jewels!!!! Love it all!

marta said...

Everything looks so wonderful! 2 Talented individuals making wonderful treasures! I see we'll be doing 2 shows together this year! Looking forward to it!

Marcia

True North Interior Design & Antiques said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement!
Marcie we are so excited to be doing the Country Living show, what other show are we doing together?

Feather Your Nest said...

hahahaha was blog hopping and saw this shirt then read that you saw it on Sandy from Rhubarb Reign...I MADE that shirt for Sandy! Small world we live in =)

Denise @ Feather Your Nest in Pickerington, OHIO

True North Interior Design & Antiques said...

Denise,
Yes beautiful small world!
You are amazingly creative. We hope to stop in your shop when we are in Ohio for the Country Living fair. Look forward to meeting you!
CJ

Feather Your Nest said...

I think we have another mutual friend - Ann from Greenoak? Think she's where I found your blog...you can see pics of our shoppe here http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Feather-Your-Nest/48375447860 and here http://featheryournestnews.blogspot.com/ I will stop by and say "hey" at the CL show =)